Sunday, May 1, 2011

Well, were to begin? It´s been awhile! Trying to get onto internet can be difficult sometimes...

Let me begin with a few days ago. We left Antigua (at last) to head to San Marcos which is on the beautiful Lake Atitlan. It´s a good thing this lake is so amazing because the ride there is absolutely nausiating. Imagine an eight passenger van that has been reconfigured so it no sits 16 (including the driver), that has no air conditioning and no seat belts, careening and lurching along dirt and cobble-stone roads at an alarmingly uncomfortable speed. Add to this a 40km climb with about 150 degree turns every few hundred feet and then another 40km drop with the same sharp angles. I´ve never had motion sickness in my life til that day. All in all it was about 100km to get there but took nearly 3 and a half hours. If I wasn´t feeling so sweaty and nausiated, I may have been able to enjoy the beautiful scenic countryside of Guatemala. Once we arrived in San Marcos, I looked up back towards the mountain we´d just scaled in our overcrowded passenger van and found it astonishing that somewhere in the lush canopy of Guatemalan jungle, there´s a winding road that people drive on regularly!

We stayed in San Marcos only two nights, which were quite pleasant. The town is kind of hilarious, it´s filled with a bunch of middle-aged hippies soul searching through yoga and meditation.. The lake is massive and the water is warm by my Yukon-blood standards. All around the lake there is a walking path (of sorts) and we found a platform area at one point that had a 40 foot drop down to the water, so naturally, we spent one afternoon jumping into the lake and sunbathing and reading on the platform. Ande, you will be pleased to know that I´m now halfway through H.Potter # 2!

After leaving San Marcos we went back up to Antigua for a last night in Guatemala. We didn´t spend nearly enough time in the beautiful country and we´re already planning our trip back to visit the more remote areas.

Yesterday we spent a disgusting 7 hours passenger vanning our way to Copan, Honduras. Luckily, this van had only 6 of us in it so it was quite spacious, and, thank the Lord, was airconditioned! The air becomes unbelievebly more muggy and humid in Honduras. The temperature here today is 40 degrees, and it definitely feels it!

Ok, so I´ve just got my 5 minute warning on the computer and I don´t want to get kicked off without saving this. So I guess I´ll sign off and hopefully return soon with stories about the Copan Ruins we went to this morning!

Cheers.

1 comment: